3.5 hours - 10:00 am departure
Enjoy a 3.5-hour guided trip around the island that lets you see the old Dixon Cove shipwreck, relish panoramic views, and immerses you in the cultural customs of the Garifuna people. Take a 15-minute drive across the island of Roatan that leads you to Dixon Cove. Here you'll see the final resting place of a rusted lumber cargo ship that ran aground just offshore in 1971. Then stand atop a picturesque lookout point known as “The View” to take in sweeping panoramas of the island landscape below — take a few minutes for souvenir shopping, too. Then prepare yourself for an authentic cultural immersion in the nearby community of Punta Gorda. Since the 1200s the indigenous Garifuna people — a mixture of African, Island Carib, European and Arawak Indian — have called this home. Listen along to oral storytelling and join in traditional dancing before tasting a variety of local treats including coconut candy, “machuca” mash and cassava bread. Experience the true essence of Honduras before returning to the pier.
• Dixon Cove: See the skeleton of a rusty cargo ship that ran aground in local Honduran waters in the 1970s.
• The View: Watch island scenery splay before you at a scenic lookout and enjoy a bit of souvenir shopping.
• Punta Gorda: Get an authentic feel for the Garifuna people's distinct customs and culture through storytelling, dancing and cuisine.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .03 miles over uneven surfaces, with inclines and about 9 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
• This tour is accessible to guests with limited mobility; however, guests must be able to climb into the coach and take a few, small steps on their own.
• The return drive between Punta Gorda and port is approximately 45 minutes.
• Tour sequence may vary.