Higuey Cultural City Tour
- Spend a day at the city of Higuey, the historical and cultural heart of the eastern Dominican Republic
- Encounter the artistic legacy of the island at the Altagracia Museum
- Explore the Minor Basilica Cathedral of Our Lady of Altagracia and let its architecture and folklore amaze you
- Visit the Church of Saint Dionysius, one of the first churches established in the Americas
- Walk around the marketplace and purchase jewels, crafts, rum and cigars
- Activity duration: 6 hours (not including transportation time to and from activity)
GOOD TO KNOW
- Tour language: English with ASL Interpreters
- Minimum age requirement: Suitable for all ages
- Suitable for children: Yes
- Suitable for the elderly: Yes
- Pregnant women allowed: No
Go all the way at Higuey, a city brimming with history, as well as the cultural heart of the Dominican Republic’s eastern side. Explore a museum guarding some of the island’s artistic heirlooms, become amazed by the architecture and legacy of the famous cathedral of Our Lady of Altagracia, view the city’s monuments and buildings, and visit a market to round out your day at this incredible place.
Let Higuey’s architectural masterpieces amaze you
Your adventure begins in the morning with transportation from your resort to the city of Higuey, where your first stop will be the Altagracia Museum. There, you’ll encounter the history of the Dominican Republic through exhibits featuring paintings, sculptures and even jewelry dating back generations. Then, walk a short distance from this museum to the Higuey Basilica, an inspiring shrine whose size and architecture will stun you.
Also known as the Minor Basilica Cathedral of Our Lady of Altagracia, this revered temple contains incredible gold and silver decorations, remarkable artwork and a total feeling of tranquility. Pilgrims from all over the island — and the world — visit this unique church to pay homage to Our Lady of Altagracia, an icon revered because of the history and folklore behind it. Afterward, you’ll also visit the Church of Saint Dionysius, a smaller sanctuary with an enormous legacy since its founding in the 1500s as one of the first churches in the American continent.
Visit monuments, buildings and a marketplace
Next up, continue toward Higuey’s main street, where you’ll view some of the city’s monuments and buildings, such as city hall and the post office. Keep walking and encounter street vendors living an ordinary but authentic way of life, until you make it to the marketplace.
Step into shops selling jewelry and fine souvenirs, see master craftsmen hand rolling the island’s famous cigars, and don’t forget to purchase a nice bottle of Dominican rum to take home with you. When your city tour of Higuey ends, hop back into your vehicle for the return ride to your resort.